Network Transport Engineer
Job ID: #83786
MOUNTAIN, LTD. has an opening for a Network Transport Engineer for a major company working in the Victor, NY area.
MOUNTAIN, LTD. is a telecommunications service provider that has been in the industry for nearly 40 years. We are a proven leader in engineering solutions and recruitment with a record for success with both clients and candidates looking for the best jobs in the field. Our teams strengthen the infrastructure of our client base by specializing in outside/inside plant engineering, design, permitting, right of way, CAD drafting and project management. MOUNTAIN, LTD. offers an excellent compensation package that includes health and retirement benefits. We are dedicated to deliver our mission and commitment to clients and employees.
The Network Transport Engineer is responsible for the implementation of approved network architecture and designs. The Network Transport Engineer will provide specifications and detailed schematics for network architecture, provide specific, detailed information for hardware and software selection, implementation techniques, and tools for the most efficient solution to meet business needs, including present and future capacity requirements. The Network Transport Engineer will develop and implement network enhancements (both greenfield and existing) while following corporate standards.
- Implement Next Generation Packet Optical systems taking into consideration legacy Layer 1 transport, Layer 2 Ethernet, DWDM, SONET, Core/Edge Routers, Legacy TDM Networks
- Provide senior level design solutions, configuration and troubleshooting of network elements to support voice, video and data traffic
- Create system support documentation including instructional procedures, provisioning guidelines, test plans, problem documentation and functional process flows
- Monitor network characteristics, maintain logs, and follow procedures to effectively respond to out-of-tolerance conditions or outages
- Analyze, diagnose and correct network hardware and/or software problems associated with the delivery of data transport to minimize network downtime
- Contribute to the design, provisioning, and operations of the edge and backbone transport with emphasis on networking best practices
- Participate in research pertaining to development of new network systems and management tools
- Knowledge and experience working Ciena 6500 Product Family (Packet and Optical)
- Experience with field-based work in POPs, carrier hotels, data centers and Central Office environments
- Extensive DWDM(ROADM) and SONET experience is essential
- In depth knowledge of MEF and CE2.0 Ethernet products and standards, including y.1731 statistics collection, y.1564 testing.
- In depth knowledge of connection oriented Ethernet standards including MPLS-TP, G.8032, PBB-TE.
- In depth knowledge of industry protocols including IP, MPLS, OSPF, ISIS, BGP, VRRP, VLANs, Spanning tree, 802.1q trunking and class/service standards
- TL1 and/or Element Management System experience
- Solid optical troubleshooting skills using OTDR, OSA, BERT and optical power meters
- Passive, active OADM & ROADM DWDM systems
- Ethernet, IGPs, bridging, routing, and switching
- Broad understanding of optical theory, transport technologies and the operation of optical transport systems (including SONET, SDH, DWDM)
- Strong knowledge of SONET networking, ring and partial mesh network topologies
- Strong detail-oriented project management skills
- Ability to work and learn independently
- Ability to build and foster collaborative relationships
- Self-starter with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Any other duties required
- 6+ years of experience with optical network installation and maintenance for service providers
- BS or BA in engineering or computer science or equivalent experience
For consideration please email your resume to tetonjobs@MountainLtd.com or call 800-322-8627.