23 Oct 2018
Guest Post: Kick Your Career Up a Notch
Written by Susan Morra
System One, Marketing & Communications Manager
Whether you’re just starting a new job or powering along at a great role, there’s never a bad time to take your career next level. Need some tips on kicking it up a notch?
- Define your goals – The first step to getting anywhere is to know where you are and where you want to be. It’s no different for your career. Not sure where you want to be? Make time to really think about the things that are most important to you. For some it’s travel, others may want the prestige from a corner office and lofty title. Want to retire by the age of 40? Whatever it is, write it down!
- Create a career plan – Proactively take control of your career. Research your industry, your company or your field of expertise. Write down all the areas that interest you. Make note of down what you’re good at and what you like to do. Research what opportunities are available in those areas, then develop a step-by-step strategy to get you there. Want to spend more time on philanthropic activities? Volunteer!
- Build your personal brand – Let your coworkers and colleagues know who you are and what you stand for. Dust off your resume and update your social profiles. This might also include things like offering help to your coworkers on a project. It’s important to let people know what you like and what you’re good at, rather that is in the office or in your garage workshop.
- Network – Build new work relationships and stay in contact with previous colleagues. Join new groups at the office or local professional organizations. Get or become a mentor. Whatever it is you do every day, meet people while you’re doing it. You never know who you’ll meet and how they might inspire you.
- Never stop learning – Today’s connected society makes learning easy. Every new path leads to new opportunities for growth, development, and fulfillment.
MOUNTAIN wants to help you take your career to the next level. Check out our career opportunities and talk to one of our recruiters today!